Beautiful Things

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving in Bouake!

What a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration we had!

The WorldVenture missionaries from all over Cote d'Ivoire were at ICA this week for their annual meeting. We all woke up extra early for a 7:30 am french class and then off to worship with the other missionaries. Thanksgiving reminds me of David's song of praise in 1 Chronicles 16: 7-36.

The missionaries shared stories of their ministries and I was just blown away by how they've committed their lives wholly to serving God in Cote d'Ivoire. There are people working in Medical missions, bible translation, and adult education/ discipleship.

The afternoon was spent cooking! Everyone was busy making green bean casserole, apple pies, potato salad, crescent rolls, creamed corn, and Beckie and I had a sweet potato adventure! (Sweet potatoes don't look or feel the same here, but they taste great!!)

Angelika decorated the basketball court with palm fronds and tropical flowers. A long line of tables was set up with enough room for 40! Talk about a feast! There was the Journey Corps group, the WorldVenture missionaries, and all of the Village Baptiste families. It was a wonderful time of gathering, eating until we could eat no more, and sharing stories.










It was impossible to ignore how much I have to be thankful for! I was nervous that it would be a difficult day to be away from home, but I feel so blessed to be able to share this day with so many wonderful people! At the end of the day, I was so FULL! Full of potatoes and full of joy. I was even passed around the Thanksgiving table back in California via my aunt's cell phone! God helped me feel connected to so many people at home and I heard many missed voices.

So here's my list of THANKFULNESS:
Unconditional love from a Wonderful Savior
Family...both far away and right here
Technology...which makes far away feel not so far
Comfort food...seriously mashed potatoes, so good
Community...Awa extending her hand as a show of friendship
The stars... in whose design I see the Mighty Creator and feel at peace
Support...I could not be here without an amazing group of people behind me
This year...full of love, growth, change, challenge, promise
And many many many other things!


2 comments:

Aaron Bjorklund said...

Hey I love your blog! I just found it for the first time. This is Aaron Bjorklund. Reading these blogs really make me wish I was a Journeyer too!!

I am going to send you all a note about how to set up your profile on myjourneycorps.com to show your blog from here without having to think about it.

Cassidy said...

Hi Naomi! Happy Thanksgiving. I know you were missed here in California by many people. I love reading your blog. You are far more reflective on your experiences than I was at 22. Please keep writing. I'll be reading every post! All my love.