Beautiful Things

Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'm Moving!

We have about a week left here at ICA. I can't believe our training is coming to an end! In about a week, six of us will be hauled up to Korhogo and four will stay in Bouake. In Korhogo, we will be at the Bible Institute with our friend and school director, Keo. We'll get a feel for the land, find out where the market is, where our churches will be, and meet our host families. At the end of the week, our families will take us to the place we will call home for the next nine months!

As I look back at the last three months, I'm stunned by how much God has done. Through culture shock, adjustments, and language learning, there's been so much growth. My first week in Bouake, I remember thinking, "I don't know if I can do this. I don't know if I can live in an Ivorian home. I don't know if I can eat this day after day. I don't know if I can." Well, funny thing is, I know that I have no ability or strength to do this on my own.
          
  None.

And this is when God reminds me that every step of the way, he is preparing us for what's next.
One day at a time.
 I can now say, 2 months later, that I'm excited!

I'm ready to go to Korhogo and really dig into ministry.
I'm ready to live with people and share life with them.
I'm ready to sleep in different places,
                        and eat weird things,
                                      and speak french 24/7,
                                                         and feel totally completely out of my element!

 As my fellow journeyer friend, Steph, says : "God is my comfort zone!"

This time of training has been a time of pruning, of shaping for all of us. CJ and I sat outside on the porch swing yesterday and had a great conversation about how our time here is producing something in us, something long lasting. We have had things from our lives stripped away. The comforts, the people, the things we rely on are not here. Through that we've learned and continue to learn what it means to rely on Christ. We've had plenty disagreements with each other (with 10 twenty-somethings in a little dorm, who can blame us). Even our little conflicts show us what it means to truly love each other as brothers and sisters. We've all been challenged and have grown from this time on our little campus.

Now as we ready ourselves to head out, I'm so thankful that God promises to give strength for today. Tomorrow is too much to think about some days. Tomorrow will present it's own challenges, but today we know that we're being prepared for tomorrow, and tomorrow will prepare us for the next day. When I feel overwhelmed, or weak, or anxious, or alone, He reminds me:

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" Psalm 73:26



Korhogo, here we come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Naomi! Being out on the field and only spending one month in each place was at times too much for me! So I commend you and tell you that is will be a struggle at times but if you keep your focus on the Lord then yes you can get through! Love ya, Victoria